Event Types and Scoring Schemes
MapRun supports the following event types, which are set by including the relevant code in the course file name:
- Line Course - traditional orienteering format, with the winner being the fastest to visit the controls in the defined sequence (Code: PXAC)
- Scatter - visit controls in any order, with the winner having the fastest time. (Code: PXAS)
- Scatter (Specific Number) - visit the designated number of controls (from a larger set), with the winner having the fastest time eg any 16 controls out of 20. (Code: PXASxx where xx would be 16 in this example).
- Score - visit as many controls as possible in a defined time period, gaining points per control, with the winner having the highest points score. (Code: ScoreXyyy - where ScoreX is described below and yyy is the time in minutes).
Note: ScoreM and ScoreB are available from Android v45.0 and iOS v8.0.1 onwards.
- This is a time-limited scatter event with two sets of controls (ie of different “parity” - odd numbered and even numbered) on the same map.
- Runners select to run either evens or odds first and then the other.
- The runner’s first block is determined by whether two odds or two evens are punched before two of the other (or stated another way, of the first three non-duplicated controls visited, two are even or two are odd).
- The flip to the second block is signaled by visiting two controls in the second block in succession. (ie two odds after an initial block of evens or vice versa)
- Runners don’t need to visit all evens or all odds and could just visit one block of controls.
- Controls of the wrong parity in a block (ie odds visited in an even block and vice versa) do not count towards the points score but can be visited in the correct block for points. These controls are listed as “Extras” in the results table.